Security, reliability and efficiency in water supply, quality and hygiene in drinking water, process water and pool waters,
innovative technology and analysis: IWW is one of the leading research institutes for all issues of water use.
Our main areas of expertise include
- Resource protection and water catchment
- Process engineering of water treatment and disinfection
- Infrastructure of water distribution systems (facilities, public and domestic networks)
- Chemical and microbiological water quality
- Biofilm-related problems in drinking water and process water
- Organisation of supply companies (accounting, quality management, efficiency)
IWW has a multifunctional technical infrastructure, well-equipped laboratories, large-scale testing facilities and versatile
pilot equipment (e.g. filters, membrane and oxidation test units, corrosion test facilities).
Quality assurance and good scientific practice
The research programme of IWW is supervised by an international scientifi c advisory board. To ensure the high
quality of research and other services, IWW maintains a quality management system certifi ed according to ISO 9001.
IWW has a focus on interdisciplinary water research. In co-operation with institutes of the University of Duisburg- Essen,
the Technical University of Darmstadt, and the Technical University of Dortmund, our scope ranges from fundamental
research to the development of practical applications.
Scientific Directors at IWW:
Prof. Dr.-Ing. Rolf Gimbel (spokesman)
Prof. Dr. Hans-Curt Flemming
Prof. Dr. Andreas Hoffjan